Search This Blog

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Rate of Change (1/20)

Today, we did a warm-up reviewing independent and dependent variables. As a part of the warm-up, we discussed "rate of change" and how that is the change in the dependent variable divided by the change in the independent variable. I let students know we would be doing that with numbers and graphs on Monday.

After discussing the independent and dependent variables, we did an activity with a motion detector. Students were given a situation (for example: someone starts at the motion detector, walks away for 3 meters, stops, and then walks to the 5 meter mark), and they had to graph what they though that would look like. After predicting the graph, someone volunteered to model the particular situation, and they graphed the real graph.

Due Monday:

On the blank sheet of paper I gave you at the end of class, you need to write a sentence at the bottom that is like this:

________________ depends on __________________.

My example was "How sleepy I am depends on how late I stayed up last night."

Above the sentence you need illustrate the independent and dependent variables from your sentence. (So for my example, I would draw a picture of me staying up late for the independent variable and picture of me being really sleepy the next day).

No comments:

Post a Comment